BUCKLE UP! Your guide to getting your driving license in Singapore
Are you studying or living in Singapore? Hoping to get a car of your own to discover the little hidden nooks and crannies around the island? If you are a foreigner above 18 years of age and holding a Work Pass, Dependent Pass, or Student pass, you are eligible to get a driving license and drive in Singapore!
For the first 12 months in Singapore, if you already have a valid foreign driver’s license (Class 3, 3A or 2B) you may drive without converting to a Singapore license. However, after the first 12 months, you will need a Singapore driver's license to continue driving. If you already possess a foreign license, you only need to convert your license to a Singapore one. Otherwise, you will have to take the driving test to obtain a license before you can drive.
For those who have received Permanent Residency (PR) or Singapore Citizenship, you must convert your foreign driver’s license within three months of obtaining the new PR/Citizenship status.
There are only two steps to convert your foreign driver’s license to a Singapore one.
Firstly, you need to pass the Singapore Basic Theory Test (BTT), which you can do at any of the three driving centres in Singapore. You can book your BTT online at their respective websites, which we have listed below:
1. Bukit Batok Driving Centre Website: https://info.bbdc.sg/ 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5, Singapore 659085 T: 1800 666 8888
2. ComfortDelGro Driving Centre Website: https://www.cdc.com.sg/ 205 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408805 T: 6841 8900, 6848 0617
3. Singapore Safety Driving Centre Website: https://ssdcl.com.sg/ 2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4, Singapore 757387 T: 6482 6060
After passing your BTT, you need to apply for the conversion of your foreign driver's license to a Singapore license at the Traffic Police Test Center counter located within the driving centres listed above. Unfortunately, this has to be done in person in order for the officers to verify the authenticity of the documents submitted.
You will need to bring:
● An original and photocopy of your passport and local identification (eg. NRIC, Work Pass, Work Permit, etc.)
● An original and a photocopy of your valid foreign driving licence. This licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass, etc.
○ If your license is not in English, you will need either an international driving permit, or
an official translation obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any
Singapore registered translation companies. (Translation is not required for licences
issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.)
○ If your foreign driving licence does not have the 1st date of issue, you are required to
obtain an extract of driving licence record from the Licensing Authority.
● One recent matte passport-sized colour photograph of you with a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted.
● A processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only)
Once you have passed all the requirements and converted your license at the driving centre, you are free to drive wherever you like in Singapore!
Find out more through our community at https://www.expatassociation.com/contact-us